Financial Controller - Remote
Help steer the financial ship while making waves in education
Are you an experienced finance professional looking for more meaning in your work? Desire to establish something new, while backing a cause that matters? Take the next step in your career with one of the fastest-growing college and career readiness companies and join our team of dynamic and dedicated individuals – all working towards the common goal of helping students succeed.
This role necessitates a deep understanding of financial management and the ability to optimize, streamline, innovate, and lead. Beginning as an individual contributor with the potential for team management in the future, you'll bolster our rapidly expanding Finance team with the fiscal strategies, data, and tools necessary for success. As our Financial Controller, you will be at the helm of our financial strategy, interpreting and ensuring the accuracy of financial statements, and adeptly translating these insights to both management and non-accountants.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee all accounting operations, including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost and Inventory Accounting, and Revenue Recognition
- Manage budget preparation, financial forecasting, and reporting variances
- Deliver accurate monthly financial statements and key metrics
- Supervise regulatory reporting and research technical accounting issues
- Support month-end and year-end closing processes
- Ensure the integrity of financial transactions and reporting
- Comply with all levels of government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Uphold and improve internal controls and accounting policies
- Handle all aspects of revenue - invoicing, recognition, forecasting, and customer issue resolution
- Oversee Equity and Stock Option Accounting
- Provide support for board, investor, and bank reporting
- Lead and supervise the accounting and collections staff
- Drive the research and implementation of new systems and strategies
Now, more than ever, educational institutions require the services that MasteryPrep offers. By ensuring our Finance team excels, you help alter the landscape of public education and the trajectory of students’ lives. Are you prepared to take on this challenge?
Nearly 90% of low-income students graduate high school without a college-ready ACT or SAT score. MasteryPrep’s mission is to level the playing field in education by offering the most effective test preparation available – made accessible to all students.
Through 10 successful years of partnering with school districts and institutions on college readiness services and resources, MasteryPrep has surpassed one million students served since the company’s founding in 2012.
MasteryPrep increased its student outreach by 70 percent in 2021 and is ranked among the Inc. 5000 “Fastest Growing Companies,” featured by “Entrepreneur 360,” and selected among the “Growth Leaders” by Louisiana Economic Development.
When we ask our employees what they love most about working for MasteryPrep, it comes down to the mission, the people and the challenge.
- The mission: Ever had a day when you just don’t feel like getting out of bed and working? We don’t. We have a strong mission that truly changes lives and it motivates us each day to get up, get together, get better and get things done.
- The people: MasteryPrep is as diverse as the student population we serve and we value our employees as people, not just the position they fill. We have bicyclists, book nerds, musicians, basketball players, video gamers, and one person who has an insanely green thumb. No really. She can grow anything!
- The challenge: We believe that with everything we do, we should make it awesome. We don’t believe in “average,” “run-of-the-mill,” or “ordinary.” And “good enough” isn’t in our vocabulary. We’re growing tremendously and won’t stop until every student has access to a better future. Bring your experience, skills and creativity here – and you’ll find MasteryPrep is a place to contribute and feel valued.
- 5+ years of combined experience in Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field (Advanced degree preferred)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) preferred
- Thorough understanding of accounting principles and procedures
- Proven experience in creating financial statements
- Skilled in general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Proficient user of accounting software and systems
- Experience with Salesforce, SaaSOptics/Maxio, BILL, Concur, Carta software is a plus
- Prior experience in SaaS and Professional Services sectors
- Track record of successfully managing auditors and the audit process
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Proactive approach with an excellent ability to manage multiple tasks
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Confidentiality in handling sensitive financial information
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Willingness to learn new platforms and technology-fluent
- Strong desire to create a positive experience for others
- Ability to successfully manage a team
- Deep belief in the potential of all students and a passion for MasteryPrep’s mission
- Respect for individuals' diverse experiences and the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds
- $90,000 to $110,000 starting salary, based on qualifications
- Employee benefits eligibility (health, disability, AD&D, life insurance)
- Optional dental and vision coverage
- Matching 401k
- Paid time off
- Generous paid holidays
- Ability to work fully remote
- Company supplied laptop